RIBA Awards Presented and Shortlist Anounced
The RIBA National and International Awards were announced on June 27th. The final shortlist for the £20,000 Stirling Prize which includes the RIBA National Awardees will be announced on July 17th, and the winner on October 11, 2008.
The Lubetkin Prize was awarded to Gianni Botsford for Casa Kike, a house designed for his father in Cahuita, Costa Rica.
The Lubetkin Prize is awarded for the most outstanding building outside the EU by an RIBA member and is chosen from winners of RIBA International Awards| following visits by a jury of architects and a lay judge.
Those shortlisted for the Lubetkin prize were judged by Sunand Prasad, president of the RIBA, Niall McLaughlin, chair of the RIBA Awards Group, Tony Chapman, RIBA head of awards, Denise Bennetts and Glenn Howells.
RIBA Awards are given for buildings that have high architectural standards and make a substantial contribution to the local environment. The awards have been given annually since 1966.
Full list of RIBA National Awards winners:
- Accordia, Cambridge by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios/Alison Brooks Architects/Macreanor Lavington
- Adelaide Wharf, Hackney, London by Allford Hall Monaghan Morris
- BBC Scotland at Pacific Quay, Glasgow by David Chipperfield Architects
- East Beach Cafe, Little Hampton, West Sussex by Heatherwick Studio
- Hilton Tower, Manchester by Ian Simpson Architects
- Lawn Tennis Association’s National Tennis Centre, Roehampton, London by Hopkins Architects
- Manchester Civil Justice Centre, Manchester by Denton Corker Marshall
- North Wall Arts Centre, St Edward’s School, Oxford by Haworth Tomkins
- Pier Arts Centre, Stromness, Orkney by Reiach and Hall Architects
- Royal Festival Hall, London by Allies and Morrison
- St Marylebone Church of England School Performing Arts Facility, London, by Gumuchdjian Architects
- Terminal 5, Heathrow Airport, by Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners
- The Belgrade Theatre, Coventry by Stanton Williams
- The Sackler Crossing, Kew, Surrey, by John Pawson
- Wembley National Stadium, London, Foster + Partners/HOK Sport
- Westminster Academy at the Naim Dangoor Centre, London, Allford Hall Monaghan Morris
Full list of RIBA European Award winners:
- Am Kupfergraben 10, Berlin, Germany by David Chipperfield Architects
- Amsterdam Bijlmer Arena Station, Amsterdam, Netherlands by Grimshaw/ARCADIS Architecten
- BMW Welt Event, Exhibition and Automobile Delivery Centre, Munich, Germany by Coop Himmelb(l)au, Wolf D Prix, W. Dreibholz & Partner ZT GmbH
- Carabanchel Social Housing, Madrid, Spain by Foreign Office Architects
- Empire Riverside Hotel & Brauhaus, Hamburg, Germany by David Chipperfield Architects
- Lufthansa Aviation Center Frankfurt a.M, Frankfurt, Germany by Ingenhoven Architects
- Nord Park Cable Railway, Austria by Zaha Hadid Architects
- The Royal Playhouse, Copenhagen, Denmark by Lundgaard & Tranberg Arkitektfirma
- The Sleeping Giant, Co.Dublin, Ireland by O'Donnell + Tuomey Architects
- University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland by Wilkinson Eyre Architects
Lubetkin Prize Winner
Casa Kike, Cahuita, Costa Rica, by Gianni Botsford Architects
RIBA Client of the Year Award
Coin Street Community Builders