House in Brooklyn, New York
The brief for the conversion of this former coach house dating from 1860 required the provision of extensive storage space, two additional bedrooms and increased lighting at the rear. The internal spaces are articulated into regular bays by the vertical steel supporting system. The spaces beneath the stairs, which extend over the entire length of the house, are used for storage. The open spatial form also allows light to penetrate deep into the interior. A system of matt-black steel framed elements, used in conjunction with maple and cherrywood, forms the basis of the internal fittings in various situations. The walls to the living areas are finished with grey and green coloured plaster.