7th International Convention of Architecture
Text: Florian Maier
The convention in Budapest, which embraced the topic of „big architecture versus good architecture” was grounded on the lectures of seven famous foreign architects and a well-known Hungarian one, and offered an even more abundant programme for the 535 registered architects than in the previous years.
The prefatory paper was presented by Petra Ceferin (Ljubljana), who pointed out that „good” architecture is not necessarily a „big” one. The 2x20 video film of Tamás Nagy (H), which was about the Initiation of Hungarian students of architecture, showed the building of a wooden belfry in Transylvania and the construction of a wooden pedestrian bridge in West-Transdanubia. Eduardo Souto de Moura (Porto), Maurizio Bradaschia (Triest), Davide Macullo (Lugano-Milano), Tony Fretton (London), Edouard François (Paris), Heinz Tesar (Vienna) gave excellent lectures on their latest projects of the highest quality accompanied by colour 3D projection. In the hall the exhibits of the sponsoring building material companies were on display. The participants regarded the convention successful and useful.
The 7th International Convention of Architecture was organized by the newly founded architectural periodical METSZET together with the Association of Hungarian Architects on 6 March 2010.
The venue of the representative event was the banquet hall of the Italian Institute of Culture in Budapest. The building was designed by Miklós Ybl and it was used as the House of Representatives of Hungarian Parliament from 1865 to 1902.