Refurbishment of Hellerau Festival Theatre
Hellerau was the first garden city to be created in Germany, and the festival theatre erected there by Heinrich Tessenow in 1911 soon became a centre for the avant-garde in Europe. This came to a sudden end in 1933 when the Nazis assumed power. During this period, the two wings flanking the theatre were added for use as military barracks, and after the war, the building was taken over by the Red Army. Since 1994, it has belonged the free state of Saxony; and since 1996, it has been administered by an organization for the promotion of art and culture in Europe. In 1999, an international competition was held with the aim of rehabilitating the seriously dilapidated complex, rekindling the original spirit of the house and providing a platform for modern art. The existing fabric is to be retained as far as possible, and various cultural organizations will find a home there. Plans also include the provision of catering facilities and temporary accommodation for artists, as well as two new tracts with studios, workshops and a rehearsal stage.