Emirates Glass LEAF Awards 2008
The Danish architecture firm Schmidt Hammer Lassen won the Grand Prix Award for its Performers House project, a modern version of a Danish folk high school, at this year’s Leaf Awards in London last week. The prize specifically focuses on projects built between 1 January 2007 and June 2008.
The building, including performance areas, teaching rooms, a canteen, a student café, student accommodation and housing for teaching staff, was commended for the simplicity of the design, characterised by the choice of materials as well as the successful transformation of an existing historic boiler house.
The Emirates Glass LEAF Award is an international architectural prize, recognising innovative architectural design, across both private and public sectors. Previous winners of the award include David Chipperfield Architects’ America’s Cup Foredeck Building in Valencia and Skidmore, Owings and Merrill’s ARB bank in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Now in its fifth year, the awards have 11 categories, including the Residential Building of the Year Award, the New Innovation of the Year Award or International Interior Design Award. The winners of each category are listed below:
- Mixed-Use Building of the Year: Schmidt Hammer Lassen Architects for Performers' House in Denmark
- Residential Building of the Year (single storey): bgp arquitectura for Black House in Mexico
- Residential Building of the Year (multi storey): PCKO Architects for eScape in the UK
- Commercial Building of the Year (public): Kengo Kuma & Associates for the Suntory Museum of Art in Japan
- Commercial Building of the Year (business): John McAslan & Partners for 28 Dorset Square in the UK
- International Interior Design Award: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill for GSC Offices in the USA
- Young Architect: Xavier Vilalta Studio for Arreletes Day-Care Centre in Spain
- Best Sustainable Development: LSI Architects LLP for Cley Marshes Visitor Centre in the UK
- New Innovation of the Year: WSP Architectural Design Consulting for Long Shan Church in China
- Best Structural Design of the Year: Foster & Partners for Beijing International Airport Terminal in China
- Grand Prix Winner: Schmidt Hammer Lassen Architects for Performers' House in Denmark